Google shopping ads showcase your products with images, names, prices, and reviews at the very top or on the right hand side of Google search. When it comes to product searches, this is prime real estate! Many people are surprised to learn that Google Shopping Ads tend to be 30% less expensive than standard text ads! Once you launch Google Shopping for your eCommerce brand, you can drive traffic to your store nationally or internationally.
Data For Google Shopping Stats
Our agency manages millions in ad spend for eCommerce clients. We also have our own in-house eCommerce brand in DermWarehouse. The statistics we compiled for Google Shopping statistics came from trustworthy sources across the web along with data from our own eCommerce brand.
Shopping Ads vs. Text Ads
Unlike Google’s text ads, which populate on Google based on keywords you select, shopping ads are all predicated based on the shopping feed and availability of products in your catalog. Products for your Google shopping campaigns are uploaded through your shopping feed in Google Merchant Center. Below is an example of what a Google Shopping advertisement looks like. We wanted to share this visual before diving into key Google Shopping statistics.
Learn More: What You Need to Know About Google Merchant Center
Google Shopping Statistics
- The average Cost per click of Google Shopping is $0.66. Google Ads average of $1.16 CPC for ecommerce stores 
- For DermWarehouse, our eCom skincare brand, we continue to see yearly increases in average cost per click for Google Shopping 
- 2019 Average CPC: $0.75
- 2020 Average CPC: $0.83
- 2021 Average CPC: $0.94
- 2022 Average CPC: $0.97
- If you achieve above a 1% click-through-rate on your Google Shopping ads this would be classified as above average. The average CTR of Google Shopping Ads is .86% 
- A standard budget allocation for Google Shopping vs. PPC for eCommerce brands is 80% (Shopping) vs. 20% (PPC) 
- This isn’t true for all eCommerce brands. For DermWarehouse, our percentage is closer to 50/50 as we rely heavily on dynamic search ads.
- The average Google Shopping Ads conversion rate is 1.91% 
- Google Shopping has 1.2 billion monthly searches 
- The average Google Shopping Ads budget is $770.41, though this varies significantly by industry 
- For DermWarehouse, we started with a modest $500/month budget but now average north of $40,000 per month
- Google has a market share of 92% while Bing has a 6% market share 
- The average cost per click can be 70% lower on Bing versus Google 
- 85% of all product searches start on Amazon or Google , 46 percent of which are on Google 
- Shopping ads drive 76% of retail search ad spend, and generate 85% of all clicks on Google Ads or Google Shopping campaigns 
- Google Shopping is proven to have 30% higher conversion rates than text ads 
- 49% of shoppers surveyed say they use Google to discover new products 
- 95% of ad clicks on mobile devices go to Google Ads’ campaigns 
- More than 80% of global businesses trust Google Ads for PPC campaigns 
- In 2021, Google’s ad revenue amounted to 209.49 billion U.S. dollars 
- Google Shopping has 1.2 billion monthly searches. 
- Food & Drink had the highest conversion rate for paid search ads, at 9.74%. Sporting Goods experienced the lowest, at 2.68 
- 63% of people have clicked on a Google ad 
- Google Shopping had about 3,700 stores and other merchants at the end of 2019 
- Google shopping is an extremely important channel for anyone operating an eCommerce business.
- So many consumers start their shopping search on Google. If you’re not visible there, then you’re missing out on a lot of potential business.
- When it comes to advertising on Google, you can’t beat the visibility of Google shopping ads. They’re front and center and extremely important real estate to take advantage of.
- Customers have a much higher purchase intent when shopping on Google vs. on social media channels.
- The statistics to back up the importance of Google shopping are staggering. This channel is one that can’t be missed for eCommerce.
The following websites listed below is where we found the majority of stats and facts on Google My Business.
- 1: StoreGrowers
- 2: Internal Client Data from DermWarehouse
- 3: StoreGrowers
- 4: StoreGrowers + Internal Data from DermWarehouse
- 5: GrowMyAds
- 6: Renolon
- 7: StoreGrowers + Internal Data from DermWarehouse
- 8: Backlinko
- 9: Instapage
- 10: KlientBoost
- 11: Oberlo
- 12: KlientBoost
- 13: HubSpot
- 14: GrowMyAds
- 15: WebFX
- 16: Website Rating
- 17, 18 & 19: Renolon
- 20: Social Sheppard
- 21: GrowMyAds