Note: This article was updated on June 29th, 2020.
2020 has undoubtedly presented digital marketers with some unique challenges and new perspectives on how to engage our consumers and be better communicators. Here at The Media Captain, we make sure that we are reading dozens of online marketing articles each week to stay abreast to changing trends and topics dominating the digital marketing world. As all digital marketers are aware, there are constantly new tools and patterns that affect the behavior of consumers.
However, we thought it would be beneficial to compile a list of some fascinating industry statistics we’ve come across and are paying attention to within our agency.
Whether the topic is social media, online marketing, video production or content creation, these five stats will certainly be a conversation starter with your friends and coworkers (that is if you are as obsessed with the web as we are). Take a look at what we think are some of the most intriguing facts regarding digital marketing year.
- eCommerce customers who receive multiple abandoned shopping cart emails are 2.4 times more likely to complete the purchase than those who receive only one follow up email. (Experian)
- Although many digital marketers are considering email to be losing the attention of customers, email is still one of the best ways to generate leads and convince your customers to come back to your website. Shopping cart abandonment campaigns are a great way to stay engaged with the customer and remind them of their potential purchase. These types of campaigns also make the user feel a little more connected to the brand and paid attention to. Effectively creating campaigns that are interesting and relevant to your consumers is key to making sure your emails get opened and are pushing conversions.
- 52 percent of online brand discovery happens in public social media feeds. (Hootsuite)
- It is no secret that social media has been dominating the digital marketing industry and is constantly changing the landscape in eCommerce. More and more users are finding new products and brands through effective social media advertising and word-of-mouth marketing through friends and followers. The ability to shop and buy directly through channels such as Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest is also allowing consumers to use the channels in entirely new ways. Brands should keep an eye on their social media presence and make sure they are utilizing the channels to properly promote their brand and drive sales.
- 500 million people open Instagram stories every month. (Influencer Marketing Hub)
- Instagram Stories have become one of the most important aspects of digital marketing campaigns. Due to their versatility and the ability to add in multiple digital effects, they have become one of the best ways to engage customers and promote different deals, giveaways and contests. Some companies have even used Instagram stories to directly communicate with consumers through polls and surveys and announced entire new product launches through the platform. This is a fantastic way to make consumers feel more connected to your brand and like they are being heard.
- Google has been visited 62 billion times this year. (Oberlo)
- The search engine continues to dominate as the place users come to find answers to their questions and daily searches. However, Google has now expanded services such as Google Shopping, Google News and numerous other services to help consumers find what they are looking for and connect them with the information they need. Digital marketers everywhere have to keep an eye on upcoming google algorithm changes and know how to best adapt their SEO strategy.
- 88 percent of marketers who use video marketing see a positive ROI. (HubSpot)
- Video content is continuing to captivate users and work as one of the most engaging forms of media on the Internet. As marketers have gained a deeper understanding of the benefits of video and how to effectively use it as a marketing tool, more and more companies have turned to the medium to better connect with customers. Even if you do not have the budget for a full video production or production team, low-budget videos can still perform well if they are planned well and created strategically. Everything from quick updates from CEOs to doctors communicating important information to their patients is happening through videos. Many social media platforms have developed better infrastructure to accommodate video content and allow for various types of video to be seen. It is clear that this powerful tool will only continue to grow in popularity as audiences demand more engaging types of content to keep them attentive.
It is definitely interesting to see the changing landscape of digital marketing so far in 2020. Many updates and algorithm changes are keeping digital marketers on their toes as we strive to continue to deliver the best results possible to our clients and companies. As always, we will be keeping an eye on the changing trends and strategies of our industry and adapting our tactics accordingly.